Find 9 household remedies that work wonders for relieving sunburn.
A fun and sun-filled day at the beach turned into a burning hell later on. Tanya had her first day off from work after moving in with us a few weeks ago. So we decided to spend the day at the beach, just the two of us. We had a lot of fun playing in the surf, swimming in the ocean and laying on our beach towels talking about life, love and what the future may hold.
Since we are both fair skinned, we slathered on the sunscreen and figured we would be fine. After a few hours on the beach, we were trying to beat afternoon traffic going home, so we packed up our stuff, skipped the shower on the beach and drove home. I think that was our first mistake.
All was well until about three hours and a nice hot shower later. Oh my, both of our faces were starting to glow like overripe tomatoes and we started to feel a little uncomfortable. I slathering on some aloe vera after sun lotion, unfortunately Tanya is allergic to a variety of over the counter products and foods, so I did a little research.
9 Household Items for Relieving Sunburn:
- Mayonnaise – it sounds gross and it is, but if you slather it on liberally on your burn it will give you relief
- Baking Soda – soak gauze pads in a solution of 4 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 cup of water, apply to affected areas
- Tea Bags – apply wet tea bags to your sunburned face or place 3 – 5 tea bags in a bathtub filled with warm water and soak
- Milk – soak a small hand towel in cold milk and apply to the sunburned area
- Baby Wipes – gently pat affected areas with a few sheets of unscented baby wipes
- Yogurt – not quite as bad a mayonnaise, spread plain, cold yogurt liberally on your sunburn
- Cucumber – slice a cold cucumber and place them on your sunburned face or other burned areas
- Vinegar – soak a cloth or small towel in white or apple cider vinegar to find relief
- Aloe Vera – cut off a leaf from your aloe very plant and slice open, apply the goo to the affected area
After a tea bag bath and using the baking soda method Tanya felt much better.
The next time we go to the beach we will be sure to bring a sun hat and take showers to rinse off the salt water right away. Of course it would be best to stay out of the sun altogether, but that isn’t exactly practical either.
Do you have any other home remedies for sunburn? Please share in the comments.