Easy Coconut Milk Rice
Coconut rice is truly a comfort food.
This recipe is very easy to make and requires little preparation time. I think it is nice to have a few different toppings in bowls for people to layer onto their rice for a tasty 1-bowl meal or as a side dish to a main entree.
White jasmine rice is perfect for this recipe. You could also use long grain white rice if that is what you have on hand.
This recipe takes only 20 minutes to prepare on your stove top and will serve 3 people. For rice cookers method, just saute the rice with coconut oil then add everything into your rice cooker and cook normally. You can double this recipe if needed.
Coconut milk rice recipe
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed well & drained
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup purified water
- Lime wedges
1. In a sauce pot, heat the coconut oil until just melted over medium heat. Add the rice and toast for approximately 5 minutes. Stir in the salt.
2. Turn the heat to high and stir in the coconut milk and water. As soon as it comes to a boil, turn the heat down to a slow simmer. Place the lid on the pot and allow the rice to simmer for 20 minutes. You can check the rice at 17 minutes.
3. As soon as the rice is cooked through, remove it from the heat and allow it to sit for a couple of minutes. Then, fluff it lightly with a fork.
4. Serve the rice in individual bowls or family style with toppings and lime wedges on the side. (See below).
Delicious & Healthy Coconut Milk Rice
Toppings for Coconut Rice
You can choose from a variety of toppings for your rice dish. Here are a few ideas that I enjoy. Be creative and have fun.
• Toasted shredded coconut
• Sesame seeds
• Slivered almonds
• Parsley or cilantro, chopped
• Scallion slices
• Kim chee
• Cooked and shredded, chicken breast
Instead of toppings, consider serving your coconut rice with any curry dish. It pairs well with both meat and vegetarian curries. For a real treat, serve with sweet, spicy, sticky pork ribs or beef short ribs.
This easy recipe is brought to you by Victoria, a home cooking mom and a food blogger. She loves to share her recipes and culinary tips from her diversified experience of multi-cuture. Check out her blog at HowDaily.com for more recipes.
Do you love cooking with coconut milk and/or coconut oil? Leave us a comment below.